Sunday, June 9, 2013

Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con 2013

I know that Philly Comic Con was a week ago, but I'm still getting over all the feels for the last Game Of Thrones episode.  I'll probably be wrecked again since tonight's the finale, so I'm going to get this post up while it's still timely!

My husband and I absolutely adore conventions.  I never actually went to one (shocker) until a year after we started dating.  He has been cosplaying since high school, and he is so fantastic and dedicated with his details and characterization.  Lately, he's been doing a blend of classic and Nicholson Joker from Batman.  He'll be putting it aside for awhile as he works on a new Game Of Thrones costume, but Joker will never retire.  It's his masterpiece.

I like being his "manager."  I often describe myself as the Matthew Broderick to his Sarah Jessica Parker on the red carpet:  Just stand back and let him be bathed in the camera flashbulbs.  I tried putting my own twist on Harley Quinn this past year, but it didn't really work, so I'm putting that away for awhile.  One thing that's always fun is to get on trains and walk through a city in costume.  Talk about double takes!  Pictures are always taken before we even make it into the venues.


 My husband, the star.

Click the link below for pictures...who knows who you'll see?!




The day had just begun...it's not always the easiest to walk around with him!





This is seriously one of my favorite pix from the day.  And why WOULDN'T Joker do the horsey dance??

New toy!  


It was funny because barely any Harleys went near us when I was around. When I wasn't...yeah, they glomped themselves to him.  This Harley was really cute, we sought her out for our own pic.

We don't watch Doctor Who, but this guy was Tennent-esque, so yeah....



Hey, if the people running the booth are asking for a shot, I'm getting one too!!

Ruh roh, surreptitious shot!


They looked fantastic!

A female Nicholson Joker!  We never see those...female Jokers are usually in the style of Heath Ledger.


They looked excellent.

Ok, so this guy was giving them direction, and next thing I know, her leg is up on him!  Oh Joker, you need to wear your wedding ring at cons when those hot Harleys are around...

This really is a perfect picture, though.

Dainty sipping, as always.  You try touching up that makeup at a con.

Can't pass this up!



"Who ya gonna call?!"
  "He-Man, He-Man!!"
"...and it don't look good..."

Mandalorian Tea Time!  Hahahaha!

YAY, Game of Thrones group!

Her handmade dragon was amazing.

They were my favorite costumes of the day without a doubt...and I think I scared them because I yelled "I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU ALL DAY!!!"  Admiration, not scariness, I promise!

Captain Bernadotte from Hellsing...my husband used to cosplay this character.



ILYRIA!!!  My god, this lady could be Amy Acker's stand-in.  Beautiful!!

What can even be said here?!  

For once, I didn't do the photo booth! This list gives a good idea of all the attending celebs.

How much do I love this?  Hahaha!

Huge zombie theme this year because of The Walking Dead.  Tom Savini was also there representing horror.

We didn't do this, but I took a shot of Henry Cavill for a dear friend.

The DeLorean!  I had my picture taken in there a couple years ago and almost cried.  All proceeds go to Team Fox, a Michael J. Fox Parkinsons foundation.  Excellent cause.  And there's a Hover Board!


I've been marathoning Veronica Mars, so it was pretty cool to see Troy Vandegraff. 

Hey, and on that note, there's Kendall Casablancas...or NOT, as she was almost never at her booth.  I was too tired to stand in line the one time she was there.  I would have loved to meet the lady famous for giving us such wonderful Cordelia Chase zingers, but not if she couldn't be bothered to be at her booth (and we passed it quite frequently during the day).

Ah, but there's James Marsters.  Dear, wonderful, top of my laminated list James Marsters.  Except...he's on my freebie hall pass list, I've met him 4 times now, and nothing's happened except me getting to feel some wonderful abs.  Damn.  I decided not to get a picture this time and have him autograph a Spike/Harmony picture that I had Mercedes McNab sign a couple years ago.

Signing a lady's arm.

His band Ghost of the Robot was playing at a South Street club late that night.  He tried to get me to go (swoon), but I'm so freakin' old anymore.  However, he did tell my best friend to ditch me and go see him play which was pretty adorable, hehe!  

Brandon Routh seemed really sweet to his fans.  Dean Cain wasn't there that day.

I FOUND THE BUFFY MERCH!  Where's a framing glowing halo when I need it?


What I love about Philly Comic Con is how everything (except the panels) is all in one ginormous room.  It's more intimate and not as crazy crowded as NYC.  Oh, it's certainly packed, but you feel like you can breathe and actually see everything you want!  Unless you were in a line for Norman Reedus, then you weren't moving for a good 8 hours.  I think Philly is a great one day con unless you're big on panels and celebrity encounters.  If you are big on the vendors, cosplay, and picking & choosing the celebrity encounters, then one day is absolutely perfect.

Here's the day's loot!

You know, James Marsters better stop inviting me to bite him, or I'm going to take him up on that.

My best friend and I met Henry Winkler, and it was truly one of the most delightful celebrity encounters we have ever had.  EVER.  He is truly the nicest, most genuine, warm celebrity we have ever met.  He welcomed people over to the table (that he was NOT behind), he helped you pick a picture, chatted with you, took a picture, THANKED everyone in line for waiting....no wonder his line was always so long.  He kept it moving but gave you a truly personal experience.  The two of us scored hand holding, an exclamation over her pregnant belly, hugging, high 5, and air kisses.  I mean, hello.  NO ONE DOES THAT.  Long live the Fonz and Barry Zuckercorn!!


Marky Ramone was there (I know, what?!?!), and I absolutely had to get this signed.  I know it's a silly coaster set, but I got it back when I was working at the mall for 7 years and really became exposed all the more to their music.  I always liked them in high school, and if you read Stephen King, you definitely know about them, but my early 20s is when I really got into them.  When else could I get one of the last living Ramones to sign something for me?  But if he's hawking his tomato sauce, then I think Mr Joe Fuckin Perry needs to come to a con and hawk his hot sauce.  

Swag from the bag.


I GOT A ROSE MCGOWAN ACTION FIGURE WOOOOO!!!!

My husband had to get chibi Jon Snow and his direwolf Ghost.

Our cars are now at war with the Stark wolf and Lannister lion.  I'm going to put Tully elsewhere in the house, it won't look right on my car.

Zeon symbol (Gundam) and Mark Hamill Joker for his car.  I have the Animated series Harley on my car.



3 comments:

  1. Haha. That Harley who had the leg up on your Joker, had a knee in my face. I swear, just because I'm Batman, these rogues think they can beat me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! Did your hubby dress the same last year? I'm pretty sure I got a pic with him. Fantastic costume. I love your Marsters anecdotes as well. He's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol omg! i'm the crazy harley everyone's talking about! haha! i'm sorry about the leg thing! the photographer asked for a "sexy" pic but we went with the cute picture instead! i had no idea this joker was even taken! but it was fun shooting the photo with him he is definitely one of the better jokers at the con! he's a lucky guy to have a lady like you who can put up with all of us harleys out there! oh and to the batman i knee'd in the face.. thanks for being a good sport! that was my favorite pic of the con!

    ReplyDelete