Wednesday, June 12, 2013

"You don't throw away a yearbook! You're supposed to cherish it forever!!"

Today is the 15th anniversary of the movie Can't Hardly Wait.



This movie means so much to me because I went to see it two days after my high school graduation.  It IS my generation.  I went to school with these characters.  They are my Brat Pack.  I can quote the entire movie, and I specialize in Seth Green's lines.  My parlor trick for years was breaking into his opening monologue:

Yo I GOTTA have sex tonight.  I mean peep this, it says here 92 percent of UCLA women have had sex.  92 percent of honeys at UCLA walkin' around goin' 'Class or sex? What shall I do?'  92 percent, yo!  But you know what that means.  It means I gots a 92 percent chance of embarrassin' myself.  I roll up on that shorty like, 'What's up yo,' and she be like, 'You don't know 20 different ways to make me call you Big Poppa,' cause I don't, yo.

Yes.  Kenny Fisher and his pants that could fit a family of five was my love for many years.

Looks like someone's auditioning for Soul Train!

Yo Jana...*dances*...you wanna dance....
I'm allergic.

Allergic??  To dancing?!  
Yeah....

That is a Fragrance of Love scented candle, bitch!  DAMN!

If you haven't seen the movie, do me a favor and watch it just for Special K alone.

Everyone does an amazing job, even Jennifer Love Hewitt and her flowing hair.  She was Amanda Beckett, the wholesomely cute popular girl who was on the arm of the head jock Mike Dexter (Peter Facinelli) all throughout high school.  She doesn't do much besides react to the chaos going on around her, but she does it well.  And their cathartic encounter towards the end of the party makes me laugh every time.

(drunkenly) Oh yeah, well you're the one, A-man-DAAAAA.

I giggle just like the jock sycophants, one of whom is the always awesome Freddy Rodriguez.

But her parents, they've got mirrors over the bed.  I'm gonna be like, Ahhhahahahah!  Ahhahhhaha! 

My best friend and I were just discussing that this movie had a pre-Six Feet Under get-together!  Rodriguez, the amazing Lauren Ambrose, Eric Balfour, and Facinelli.  The role of Denise Fleming was Ambrose's breakout, and she was the perfect snarky introverted girl who would rather be anywhere than that party.

I told her you were a dendraphiliac....it's someone who has sex with trees.

Ethan Embry was an adorable delight as the earnest and arty Preston Meyers who just wanted to share his letter and his Pop Tart with Amanda.  The character was John Cusack-esque, but Embry gave him a sweet hangdog charm.  I just read a recent interesting interview with him about the movie 15 years later.  Some of it surprised me, but I like that he doesn't hold back.

[the song Mandy] It's not about a dog.  It's about a woman named Amanda.  Who the hell names their dog Amanda?!

And of course, there's Charlie Korsmo as William Lichter, the nerd who had his comeuppance in so many ways!  I grew up watching him in movies, and nothing made me happier than to see become a rock star and a legend all for one night.

Now, now, ladies, both of you can hold my laser pointer any time!

I love William and Mike's piano scene.  Every time I hear "I'll Make Love To You," I always think of that, and then my brain segues into Denise and Kenny singing "You Got It (The Right Stuff)" in the bathroom.  Every. last. time.

There were so very many other actors that continued to high profile careers or just kind of stumbled around into the early 2000s:  Jason Segel, Selma Blair, Jerry O'Connell, Breckin Meyer, Donald Faison, Melissa Joan Hart, Amber Benson, Jaime Pressly, Clea Duvall, Jenna Elfman, Sara Rue, Erik Palladino, Alexander Martin, Channon Roe, Sean Patrick Thomas, Paige Moss,  Nicole Bilderback, and Chris Owen.  If you're a nerd like me, you notice that seven of these actors appeared either on Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Cruel Intentions.  We could do a Six Degrees of Sarah Michelle Gellar!

The writers and directors Harry Elfont and Deborah Kaplan went on to do Josie and the Pussycats, which is a really underrated gem.  Seth Green, Breckin Meyer, Donald Faison, and Alexander Martin appeared as the sublime boy band Du Jour.  Back door lover, baby.

I was rather obsessed with the soundtrack and used to listen to it in my first car all the time.  Those tracks are just a sampling from what was used in the movie...one day, I should make sure to get every song on a playlist.  Click for the full listing on IMDB.

My two favorites:

Third Eye Blind-  Graduate


Eve 6-  Open Road Song


Oh hell, I can't leave this out, it's like a trailer for the movie!!

Can't Get Enough of You Baby- Smash Mouth


And what post would be complete without some pic spam!















1 comment: